Oothukattu ellayamman kovil
This temple is in a diversion to Valajabad near Oragadam in the Tambaram to Kanchipuram road. It is a verypopular temple . There is a story behind the temple. It seems once King Krishna Deva Raya who came for hunting in the Othukadu forest ggot tired and was taking rest below a neem tree. A pup called Bhairava which accompanied the king roamed in those parts and found out the water source and lead the king there. When the king was drinking water he noticed a lime fruiyt fl;oating in the lake and following it one statue of the Goddess which was two and half feet long also came,. He built a small temple below the neem tree and consecrated that Goddess there and she was called The “Oothukadu ellayamman”.(She is also called OOthukattau amman ) This is believed to have been established in the year 1608.There is also a story that the temple was established not by the knig but Nagal Naidu who was working in his army. The Temple tree is supposed to be Vanni tree.
She is the family deity of large number of people in those parts and beople believe that all their prayers are fulfilled by her. They express their gratefulness to the Goddssx by offering Pongal to her on tuedays, Fridays and Sundays. A festival called Brahmothsavam is velebrated to the goddees in the April-may month,. People dressed in yellow cloth dipped in turmreric, walk on the open fire to please her during this festival.
Recently the temple was expanded and an enytance Gopuram was built to the temple. Temples for Lord Ganesa , Durga , Seven brothers, nine planrts and Kala Bhairava are consecrated surrounding her temple.
SEeral photographs of the temple can be seen in http://sanctifiedspaces.blogspot.in/2011/01/uthukadu-ellamman-temple-visit.html